HomeAdvice and TipsInformation DocumentsLinksSign Up  
Ask A Parent
Featured Question for week of July 24, 2000:

I am a single mother of a 15-year old daughter. I know she has an alcohol problem. This has been going on for awhile but I can’t ignore it any longer. We are moving this month. Is there somewhere in the area where we can get help?

The most important thing is to focus on getting your daughter the help she needs in order to keep her healthy and safe. It’s very hard to admit that there’s a problem you, as her parent, can’t handle alone. Congratulations to you for taking the next step! To find a treatment facility near where you will be living, go to www.samhsa.gov/look3.htm. You can list the appropriate zip code and the locator will find treatment centers that are close.

You will need a professional assessment (which should include a private meeting with you for background information). Then follow the recommendations of the professional you choose. That could involve outpatient or inpatient treatment, counseling, self-help groups for both you and your daughter, or any combination of these. Best of luck to you both.

Send us your parenting questions concerning kids and drugs.

See more Ask A Parent questions.


Last Updated 05.20.2002 | Email Parenting is Prevention | Privacy Policy