HomeAdvice and TipsInformation DocumentsLinksSign Up  
Ask A Parent
Featured Question for week of July 10, 2000:

When one parent is abusing drugs, what can the "other" parent do? There are young children involved.

Safeguard the children first. Do not allow the drug-using parent to care for the children alone or drive a car with them in it.

Take steps to get the drug-using parent into treatment. Call your local health department or a treatment facility for referral to an intervention specialist. That professional will guide you and your family in your efforts to get help.

If the parent doesn’t get help or doesn’t want help, the custodial parent should move the children to a safe and stable location or tell the drug-using parent to leave until he or she has stopped using drugs.

Send us your parenting questions concerning kids and drugs.

See more Ask A Parent questions.

Last Updated 05.20.2002 | Email Parenting is Prevention | Privacy Policy